Build Your Legend Series No. 2
The Tube Program Equalizer featuring the legendary Pultec EQP-1A
In this video & epaper series I will show you everything you need to know about this famous passiv tube equalizer and
– more importantly –
how to get this legendary piece of gear in your studio by building one yourself!
3 bands of glory
Ok – first, let’s start with the video. In this introduction I’ll give you a brief and basic overview about the iconic tube program equalizer aka the Pultec EQP-1a. We’ll also listen to it and dive a little deeper into how it does its magic…
don't take just my word for it
what others are saying so far...
No more concerns
Inspired by your comprehensive feedback over the last two weeks (see comments below), I decided to take a turn and dedicate this video completely to your main questions and concerns which seems to hold a lot of you back from building your own gear.
As a professional interpreter, I work on rockets and I deal with precision-machined parts and finishes on a daily basis. The execution (sheet metal bending, cut-outs) and the paint job is absolutely fantastic! Way to go! Your hard work means a lot to us gear heads.
The final countdown
I really had a lot of fun shooting these videos and I hope you also had fun watching them – and more importantly will have even more fun Building Your Legend.
So now, your turn – plug out and play the real thing:
Tube PROGRAM Equalizer
What you get
High quality chassis + every single component
(click on the + for details)
- hammer finish powder coated back chassis
- original style hammer finish powder coated filter enclosures (2x)
- powder coated & silk-screened front panel
- all cut-outs for every single component:
no cutting, drilling or filing
- made & engineered in Germany
- original Pultec Bypass switch made by Switchcraft
- FIRST 100 kits will be supplied with VINTAGE Pultec bypass switches
- inductor/filter coil made to original specs by Moby Electronics – potted in bees wax just like in the original units
- high frequency filter caps custom made by German audiophile cap maker Mundorf
- high quality rotary switches custom made by Blore-Edwards in the UK (supplier for Neve etc.)
- potentiometers with authentic log curve custom made by Blore Edwards/UK to original specs of vintage Allen&Bradley pots
- high quality Pultec input and output transformer made by Sowter in the UK, broadcast quality interstage transformer with original specs made by Hammond in Canada
- carbon composition resistors as used in vintage units
- audiophile Audyn film caps for the low freq. filter section
- authentic can capacitor by CE Manufacturing for the PSU
- audio grade can capacitor by Mundorf for the amp section
- high-end Russian made Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 6 12AU7 tubes
- NOS (new old stock) rectifier tube
- high quality hook-up wire by Alpha Wire
…the complete analogvibes Welcome & Build Your Legend Series e-paper collections
(click on the pictures to open)
…the ultimate Building Guide to make building your legend almost as easy as painting by numbers
How we’ll make it happen
As mentioned in the videos we can only make a new project happen together – meaning we are going for a GROUP BUY. We have done this several times in the past for all our available projects. It has proven to be the best way to bring these projects to life which otherwise wouldn’t have been possible.
- 2015 TUBE OPTO COMP V1
- 2016 TUBE OPTO COMP ROUND II
- 2016 TUBE PROGRAM EQ
- 2016 ULTIMATE TUBE MIC PSU
- 2017 TUBE OPTO COMP V2
- 2017 TUBE PROGRAM EQ ROUND II
- 2017 TUBE MIDRANGE EQ
- 2018 ULTIMATE TUBE MIC PSU V2
- 2018/19 VARI-MU 176
- 2018/19 TUBE OPTO COMP V3
For better understanding & transparency I have set up a small roadmap for you. To be more on the safe side, the timeframes for each phase are generously estimated so if everything runs smoothly we may be quicker. But although we prepared this very carefully, if unforeseen obstacles arise (and experience tells there’s quite some possibility for that) it is also possible that it may take a little longer.
Roadmap to your Kit
Lastly some really important notes & conditions – please click on them & read thoroughly!
As we face minimal order quantities for several parts of the kit we’ll need at least 30 kits pre-ordered to make it happen. If we should somehow not reach that goal (I really don’t think so) the group buy is off and we will refund the preorders that have already been paid for.
UPDATE: I’m extremely happy to announce we already crossed the minimum of 30 kits preordered within 48 hours after the announcement of the kit!
And that means THE KIT WILL DEFINITELY HAPPEN!!
Thank you so much for the confidence folks and I promise you won’t be disappointed! For those of you who have been hesitating – you can now join the preorders with your minds set at ease 🙂
Please check our shipping information: click here
Please Note that if your are located outside the EU there may be additional costs for import duty & taxes. Please check with your local authorities.
With your pre-order you agree to opt in to the analogvibes newsletter so we can keep you up to date with the progress.
The already finished e-papers will be sent to you with the order confirmation. The upcoming ones follow via email once the kits are ready for shipping.
We highly recommend though, that you create an account during checkout, so you have all the e-papers in their latest versions – always accessible in one place.
Any questions left? If yes, put them in the comments for me, so I can reply to them. Maybe some others have the same questions (praise is also welcome ;-).
You might also have a quick look at the Meet-The-Legend-Page of the Pultec EQP-1A for details on that legendary piece of gear.
Well, then go for it!
Pre-orders are closed – The Group Buy has been successfully launched – Thank you guys!
& also let others know about our analog passion:
Feel free to leave me a comment…
In case you are wondering, the older comments are answers to the questions below which I asked at the beginning of the series.
- What are your top two or three questions about building the upcoming tube program EQ that you’d want me to answer in the BYL-Series?
- What are the major obstacles or doubts that are holding you back from starting to build your own gear?
Or – if you already started to build your own gear:
- What were the major obstacles holding you back in the beginning and how did you overcome them?